Sunday, May 18, 2014

Jeremiah was a bull frog

Today we will allow ourselves to be deceived by the shrewdness of none other than .......

Hoyt Axton. He sang:
 
'Joy to the world, all the boys and girls now
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
Joy to you and me

Jeremiah was a bull frog
Was a good friend of mine
I never understood a single word he said
But I helped him a-drink his wine
And he always had some mighty fine wine'

Axton explained in the Oregon News-Review: "Jeremiah was an expedient of the time. I had the chorus for three months. I took a drink of wine, leaned on the speaker, and said 'Jeremiah was a bullfrog.' It was meaningless. It was a temporary lyric. Before I could rewrite it, they cut it and it was a hit."

For nigh on forty years we have been wondering, Mr. Axton. Western civilization has been something of a success overall, I think. I mean, you know, where else could we find such...... I mean if the bible where written this way, I mean, you know. And our constitution, I mean, wow. On second thought, you know, it probably was. Yes, that's it! You were trying to show us why we were so successful, somewhat, I think.

Anyhow, thanks for the great song, man.

No comments :